SPS Annual Irish Pension Fund Investment & Current Issues
June 16, 2022
The Westbury, Dublin
As pension schemes and investment markets face a number of challenges, this conference provides an excellent opportunity to hear from leading investment experts and to discuss current issues and re-connect with your peers in person once again. Leading investment speakers will be discussing the current global and Irish economic outlook, the Irish housing market, plus topical investments issues and strategies including de-risking, impact investing, emerging market debt and high yield. You will also hear a trustee case study working with Key Function Holders to help your IORP plans.
Session One: Introduction
MORNING KEYNOTE: The global and Irish economic outlook and prospects for pension fund investors
• Current and future global economic outlook
• Focus on Ireland – how it has traditionally fared in times of economic turbulence and what are the possible scenarios now?
Impact investing in equities: assessing innovations and challenges
• Can impact investing apply to listed equities?
• Institutional investor demand and mandate trends
• Manager innovations and challenges
• Practical case study: an impact equity manager search on behalf of a European pension fund
Fixed income investing in a rate-hiking cycle
• Global macro-outlook
• Finding value in a lower growth, higher inflation environment
• How higher yield fixed income can help meet pension funds’ cash flow needs
Session Two: Sustainable investing in emerging market debt and high yield
Emerging market debt and impact investing
• Trends in EM debt and its role for investors
• Achieving Sustainable Development Goals in emerging markets
• Green EM bonds – issuers and trends
Head of Fixed Income Strategies
Achieving Climate Targets in a Corporate Bond Portfolio – a case study in High Yield
This talk will discuss the different ways to address sustainability with a special focus on a diversified High Yield Portfolio. We will examine the impact of implementing a fossil-free approach in terms of:
• Portfolio exposure
• Diversification and correlation profile
• Performance and volatility
Session Three: Pension risk management & a topical look at Irish property
Trinity College Dublin
AFTERNOON KEYNOTE: The Irish Housing Market: What Now? What Next?
• Review of the latest trends in the housing market, Dublin and nationwide, sale and rental
• Understanding the medium/long term context - how we got here, where to over coming years (and decades)
• A deep dive on one of the main issues facing the sector: construction costs,
• Other key policy issues in getting a healthy housing system, esp land use and social housing
De-risking in times of uncertainty - some recent case studies
• Considering your investment risk in a volatile market: are you over-exposed to excess risk and how can you mitigate this?
• Liability driven approach to reduce risk without reducing overall return
• Considering existing and future hedges
General Investment Trust
Trustee experience: IORP key function holders in practice
Joyce will share the experience of General Investment Trust in appointing their Key Function Holders and share early experience of working with Key Function Holders..
The conference is by invitation only for pension funds and other institutional investors and we welcome new attendees from these investors. Therefore if you are not already receiving an invitation please contact us. A limited number of Complimentary invitations are available to genuine pension fund representatives (executives and trustees) and other approved institutional investors. However, to ensure we have room for as many funds as possible, we have to limit free places to 3 attendees per approved organisation thereafter a reduced rate fee is payable per delegate. Furthermore, SPS always reserves the right of admission (free or paid) and our decision is final.
The Westbury, Dublin
Hotel Tel: +353 1 679 1122